All About Me & How I Make $$ ♥

3 Terrific Reasons to Ignore the Myth of Friday the 13th and How to Cure Your Phobia!

3 Terrific Reasons to Ignore the Myth Of Friday the 13th and How to Cure Your Phobia!


What is Friday the 13th?

Photo by Wang Xi on Unsplash
Ok, so it’s Friday the 13th…  That means something different for everyone.  Some people couldn’t care less and some people call in sick to work, hide under the fire-retardant blanket in bed and devise ways to escape the house should disaster strike.  (No, I am not talking about me… at least not the "me" that I am now  I did actually hide under my blankets in bed once because of a GIANT spider in my house in the country.  I was an adult, but so was the spider and she had like 83 billion little babies clinging to her back.  It was horrifying.) 

The number 13 has historically been thought to be unlucky or evil even!  Some tall buildings do not have a 13th button on the elevator!  Many people won’t get married on a Friday the 13th, fearing a doomed marriage. Some people will even turn down a great deal on a home because 13 is in the address!

Superstitions

Photo by Kevin Ianeselli on Unsplash
My mom is SUPER superstitious.  So superstitious in fact, that if she sees a black cat cross the path of her vehicle, she immediately applies the brakes, reverses the car and finds a new route to get where she is going.  If she absolutely cannot go another route she will cross the path and say “Bread and butter”.  That always drove me crazy as a child because… what?  What does bread or butter have to do with a cat crossing the road in front of you?  And if you see a black cat cross your path in a neighborhood that you drive through often – it is likely you cross that path ALL THE TIME!  My mom has also been known to toss salt over her left (or is it right?) shoulder if she accidentally spills it and would never ever walk under a ladder.

Superstitions never really made sense to me – but if I’m being honest – I might have picked up a little bit of the superstitious genes from my momma.  For instance, I won’t pick my own fortune cookie because you aren’t supposed to pick your own fortune. (Duh!)  Although, I am an avid believer that a person creates their own destiny – so it is completely a contradiction.  I also will not read my fortune until I have eaten the entire fortune cookie, crumbs and all.  I also happen to get empty fortune cookies all the time.  So what the heck does that even mean?!

I decided that on this lovely Friday the 13th, I would share 3 terrific reasons to ignore the old tale that it is an unlucky day.  So here you go. 😉

1.      IT IS FRIDAY!!!!
Picjumbo.com
I said Friday yo!  Who doesn’t enjoy a Friday?!  For the average working person, this is the day they wait for all week!  Even if you don’t follow the 8 – 5 schedule, Friday signifies a time to relax and let loose.  Most parties are on Friday or the weekend following. #datenight is often on a Friday night - at least for me and the Mr.  Like us, some people just like to order pizza and watch a movie at home.  Don’t waste your time worrying about what could be today!  Who cares what date is on the calendar – roll with it!  Find something fun to do! #FridayFunday

2.      Statistics say…
Photo by Ashley Whitlatch on Unsplash

It is said that people who believe bad things will happen on Friday the 13th will have more accidents on that day!  It is also said that people that live a pessimistic "glass half empty" kind of life, are generally unhappy people-always.  No matter how careful you are, accidents will happen.  But when you expect them to happen – it is even more likely.  It’s the whole bad vibes idea.  When you think bad things, it puts you in a negative state of mind. You just have to put yourself in a positive state of mind and go forth with a smile and confidence. #GoodVibesOnly


3.      Birthdays are special and important!!

Photo by Wout Vanacker on Unsplash
I believe that your birthday kind of makes you who you are.  Like the butterfly effect, if you were born on any other day – it could change the events of the entire world!  Your special day belongs to you and it shouldn't matter what day of the week or month it falls on. #BirthdaysRock

Many popular and successful people have been born on Friday the 13th!  Here are a few examples and what they are well known for.  Take a second to click the link to their IMDB page and learn more about these people!  Look at their success and then consider the fact that Friday the 13th could actually be lucky!

·         Didi Conn – actress well known for her roll in the movie “Grease”.  Who doesn’t love her chipper personality?
·     Darius Rucker – Singer & Actor, well known for his time with “Hootie & the Blowfish”
·         Kate Walsh – actress that is best known for her spot on Grey’s Anatomy from 2005 – 2012.
·         Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen – the twins well known for their time spent sharing a roll on Full House from 1987 – 1995 and then both becoming successful businesswomen

Personally, I haven’t found 13 to be an unlucky number for me.  While I am a tad bit superstitious, Friday the 13th doesn’t affect me.  In all honesty, I 100% understand the fear of different things and the anxiety it can cause for a person (believe me).  I have several fears that are difficult to cope with in some situations.  I have overcome some of them though.  


It is uncertain why this day was picked as an unlucky one or what the exact origin is, but...


The fear of Friday the 13th is real and according to several sites online, that fear can be called: Friggatriskaidekaphobia or Paraskevidekatriaphobia.  
According to www.macmillandictionary.com, the latter “was first coined in the early nineties by Dr. Donald E. Dossey, an American psychotherapist specializing in phobias and stress management, who reputedly claimed that when someone was able to pronounce the word they were cured!"

#Friggatriskaidekaphobia - #Paraskevidekatriaphobia

So lets practice together!!  Para – skevi – deka – tria – phobia!  Got it!  Now I’m gonna call my momma and get her to repeat it after me on the phone. 😊


Photo by Johnson Wang on Unsplash
Go forth and make it a happy day! #PunchTodayInTheFace - I believe in you!





♥Thank you to https://openclipart.orghttps://picjumbo.com, and https://unsplash.com for the rights to use the photographs & clipart I use on my blog. ♥
©WAHMCat 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisdom Teeth Removal - 5 mistakes NOT to make!

My wisdom teeth came in a long time ago, but really never caused any problems.  Every now and then I had occasional...